He was born in Canton, China, and grew up in Seattle. He became a naturalized citizen of the United States in 1944.
He made his film debut in The Painted Veil in 1934, and the following year gained his first big role, as Charlie Chan's eldest son in Charlie Chan in Paris. It was a role he would continue to play, on and off, until The Sky Dragon in 1949, in which, having outlasted two stars of the series, he was older than the actor then playing his father. And in 1972, he became the first Chinese actor to play Charlie Chan himself, in the otherwise undistinguished animated television series The Amazing Chan and the Chan Clan.
- He was the first to voice Brak on Space Ghost. Luke was replaced after his death by Andy Merrill.
- He did some of the original artwork for the original King Kong pressbook.
- He played The Green Hornet's Korean sidekick Kato in two movies in the early 1940s.
- He had a recurring role in the television series Kung Fu as Master Kan.
- He played the mysterious old Chinatown shop-owner Mr. Wing in the two Gremlins movies.
- He had a significant role in Woody Allen's 1990 movie Alice.
- He was the voice of Zoltar in Battle of the Planets.
Keye Luke Facts
|Birthday||June 18, 1904|
|Birthplace||Canton, People's Rep. of China|
|Date of death||January 12, 1991 (age 86)|